« ПредыдущаяПродолжить »
are five Qualifications required to our right taking up our Cross, viz. that we take it up,
1. Willingly, S. Matt. vi. 10.
V. 41. 3. Why must Christ's Disciples bear their Cross? 1. Because Christ bore it, Phil. iii. 10. Matt.
X. 23, 24, 25. 2. Because the Way wherein we follow Christ
is a cross Way; Cross to the World; Cross to Sin; Cross to our Lufts; and therefore, He that will follow Christ, mast expect Crosses before they come, and take them when they are come,
2 Tim. iii. 12. Psal. xxxiv. 19. 3. The Cross is Christ's School, wherein he
trains up His Disciples, teaching them
5 6. The Duty of Self-Examination, Lam.
xiii. 5, 5.
iii. 39, 40.
of Self-Humiliation, Job xxxvi. 8, 9, 10. and xlii. 5,6.
of Submitting unto GOD, Rom. V. 3, 4
of Believing, Psal. xxvii. 12, 13. of Despilling the World, Gal.
11. The Duty of Praying, Hof. v. 15.
of heavenly Meditation, Phil.
U SE S.
1. Wonder not at the Affidions of the Righteous; for if Men be Righteous, they must look for such Afflictions, which are to be expected by Christ's Disciples in this World, Hebr. xii. 6. AEE. xiv. 22.
2. For Christ did not die to save us from temporal Troubles.
3. And they are no Discredit, At. v. 41.
MOTIVES and ARGUMENTS to bear the Cross. All
ye that go after Christ, take up your Cross; endeavour to bear
patiently, chearfully, óc. whatsoever is laid upon you for Christ's sake. Con. sidering,
1. It is GOD that lays it upon you, Amos iii. 6.
2. It is less than you have deserv'd, Ezra ix. 13.
3 It is Christ's Cross, and we cannot suffer so much for Christ, as He suffer'd for us.
Do we suffer in Soul ? so did He, S. Matt. xxvi. 38. Do we suffer in Body? so did He, S. Matta xxvi. 67. Do we suffer in Name? so did He,
? S. Matt. X. 25. and xxvii. 63. Do we suffer Death? so did He, S. Matt. xxvii. 5o. and all our Sufferings are but the Sufferings of Men, whereas His were the Súfferings of One who was GOD as well as Man.
4. It is a blessed Cross, I S. Pet. jji. 14. The Curse is taken out by the Death of Christ. We, by our Sins, turn our Mercies into M series ; but Christ, by His Sufferings, hath turns our Miseries into Mercies ; for now Chrik's Cross is,
5. An honour able Cross, A&t. V. 41. Phil. i. 29. Πρότεegν Σ' 8 ο ταυρος όνομα καταδίκης ήν, νυνι και are yuce truñs résovev, Chrysoft.
6. A profitable Cross, Hebr. xii. 10. Psal. cxix.
1. Patience, Rom. V. 3, 4.
4 Love to Christ,
Xxxvi. 8, 9, 10.
so it is the fiery Furnace but to purge
away our Dross, Ifa. xxvii. 9.
and GOD's Children, Hebr. xii. 6,7,8.
us, in comforting and supporting us un-
iii. 8. 2 Tim. iv. 16,17,18. Psal. xxiii. 4. 7. It is a Cross that leads to a Crown.
Bear the Cross on Earth, and wear the Crops in Heaven, At. xiv. 22. 2 Tim. ji.'12. 2 Cor. iv. 17.
To imitate Him, so as,
4. To square our Lives by His, and to make
His Conversation the Rule of ours in
all Things. 2. Wherein must we follow Christ? 1. Negatively. 1. Not in what He did as GOD; for so,
1. He knew Thoughts, S. Matt. xii. 25:
S. Luk. xix. 30, 33.
He is, 1. Qur King, to prescribe us Laws,judge
us according to them and preserve
us from our spiritual Enemies. 2. A Prophet to teach us; not only our
Heads, but our Hearts. 3. A Priest to satisfy for our sin,
and to intercede for our Souls, both which He doth as God-Man, and therefore in neither of them
is imitable by us. 2. Positively. But we must follow Him in those Thing
which He did as purely Man; as, !, In our Understandings, growing in Wif
dom as in Stature, S. Luk. ii. 52. 2. In our Wills, 1. By a perfect Resignation of them
unto GOD, S. Luk. xxii. 42. 2. By Relifting the Devil's Tempta.
tions, s. Matr. iv. 1, 2. 3. In our Affe&tions ; as, ३ !: Love, S. Joh. xiii. 1. and xv. 13. S. Joh. ii. 16.
2. Joy, Psal. xl. 6,7. Hebr. x. 5, 6.
. 3. Meekness and being lowly, S. Matt.
4. Sorrow, S. Mar. iii. 5.
are in Distress, S. Matt. xv. 32. in
42. or spiritual, S. Matt. ix. 36. 4. In our Words, Isa. liii. 9. 1 S. Pet. ii. 22.
S. Luk. iv. 22. 5. In our Behaviour to Men, 1. To all in general, by doing them as
much Good as we can, At. X. 38. 2. In particular, 1. By being subject to Parents, S. Luk.
obedient to Magistrates, S. Matt. xvii. 27. S. Joh. viii. 46. 3. By loving our Enemies, and pray
ing for them that curse us, S. Luk.
6. In our Duties to GOD, 1. By being constant and fervent in
Prayer, S. Luk. vi. 12. S. Matt. xiv.
23. 2. By frequenting the Ordinances, S. Luk.
iv. 16. 3. By finishing the Work He sent as into
the World to do, S. Joh. xvii. 4. 4. By making it our Meat to do our Hea
venly Father's Will, S. Job. iv. 34. 7. In our Death; Dying as He did,
1. In Charity, S. Luk. xxiii. 34.