« ПредыдущаяПродолжить »
"Αμα και αυτός ες ανθρώπες παρών και η Ι«δαίων καθώρητο βασίλειο». Εκεί.
3. The whole Prophesie was fulfilled at the Destruction of the Temple, for then were the Nations converted to Christ.
USE. 1. Observe the Certainty of Seripture, foretelling Things 1700 Years to come. 2. Fesus is the Chrift, Joh. XX. 31.
1. For making,
of GOD, in sending his Son into the World; for this is the Mercy of all Mer
cies. 2. By a sincere and hearty Obedience to all
the Laws of so good and gracious a GOD. 3. By a liberal Contribution to the Poor,
that they may rejoyce too. 4. By addressing your felves with all Humi
lity and Reverence to the Sacrament, that you may partake of his Merits, who às upon this Day came into the World to save you from your Sins, and bring you to Heaven.
Exod. iii. 14.
אהיה אשר אהיה
Hich Name denotes,
I. ' His Existence.
II. His Effence, and in that, 1. His Unity, Deut. vi. 4. 1 Cor. viii. 4, 6.
4, Whence learn, 1. To apprehend as but one GOD, tho
Three Perfonis. 2. To worship and serve but one GOD. 2. His Independency, Psal. I, 10, 11, 12.
1. Admire his Mercy.
2. Dread his Justice.
1. Interest your selyes in him.
Maker. 2. Give your selves to him, who gave your s. His Immutability, Heb. xiii. 8. Jac. i. 17, Mal. iij. 6.
1. Trust in his Promises.
2. Tremble at his Threatnings. 6. His Sovereignty, Psal. xlvii. 2. Mal. i. 14.
1. Obey his Commands chearfully.
2. Suffer his Punishments patiently. 7. His Immensity, Psal. cxxxix. 7.
1. Often be thinking of his Presence.
selves to you.
8. His Eternity, Deut. xxxiii. 27.
1. Reverence him, Dan. vii. 9, 14.
2. Láy hold upon him as your Portion. 9. His Infinity, Pfal. cxlvii. s.
1. Love him.
2. Rejoyce in him.
1. Get fimple Apprehensions of him.
to Him, and to Him alone; as he is
EXOD. Ехор. Xх. Apudros @, Deut. iv, 13. Wo Tables. TWO The Preface exciting and obliging to Obedience.
1. I am the Lord, 071679. 2. Thy God, 71772. 3. That brought thee out of the Land of
Egypt, that delivers us from all our Troubles, Spiritual and Temporal.
PRECEPT I. Thou shalt have no other Gods besides me. All internal Duties to GOD here com
manded. 1. To know and acknowledge Him.. 2. To believe on Him. 3. To hope and trust in Him. 4. To love Him. 5. To fear Him. 6. To submit to Him.
This Command is broken, 1. By Atheists, Idolaters, Astrologers, and
all that consult them, or the Devil, or
Conjurers. 2. By Despair and Presumption. 3. By preferring Riches, or ought else before
LEVIT. xi. 44. For I am the Lord your God : You shall
therefore sanctifie your selves, and
ye shall be holy, for I am holy. * THE
*HE Lord Jehovah is to be our GOD:
1. Who is the Lord Jehovah ? 1. The Creator, Preserver, and Governor of
the World. 2. A God giving a&ual Being to his Pro
mises, under which Norion he was not known before Moses, Exod. vi. 2, 3. He was Doctrinally known fo, 1. To Abraham Gen. XV. 6. 2. To Isaac, Gen. xxvi. 24, 25. 3. To Jacob, Gen. xxviii. 13, 16. but not
Experimentally II. What is it to know the Lord to be our GODI
1. As by our Fall we lost the Favour, so also the Knowledge of the True GOD.
2. But all still acknowledge fome GOD,
,אני יהוה אלהיכם
ndutes ómeroy ion ID viv sedy, Justin.
Omnes tamen efle vim en naturam Divinam arbitrantur. Cicero.
Gentium Dii qui habentur hinc a nobis profe&ti reperientur. Cicero.
So Diodorus Siculus, Lucian, Porphyry, Aurelius Viktor, and Sanchoniathon himself acknowledge.
3. But most acknowledge and worship false Gods.
1. Men, Jupiter, Saturn, &c.
2. Devils, Levit. xvii. 7. IT'YU, Hirci, in the Syriack and Arabick, Dæmonia.