Изображения страниц


THE EARL OF DEVON. May 26. At his residence in the Place Vendome, Paris, in his 67th year, the Right Hon. William Courtenay, Earl of Devon (1553,) third Viscount Courtenay, of Powderham castle, co. Devon (1762,) and a Baronet (1644).

His lordship was born July 30, 1768, the only son (with thirteen sisters) of William the second Viscount Courtenay, (de jure Earl of Devon,) by Frances, daughter of Mr. Thomas Clark, of Wallingford in Berkshire. He succeeded his father in the title of Viscount, shortly before he became of age, on the 14th of Dec. 1788.

His claim to the Earldom of Devon was founded upon the limitation in the patent of the 3d Sept. 1 Mary, 1553, by which that dignity (originally derived by the Courtenays by inheritance from the house of Redvers in the earliest feudal times) was granted to Sir Edward Courtenay, to hold to him "et heredibus suis masculis imperpetuum," with the precedence in Parliaments, and in all other places, which any of his ancestors, Earls of Devon, had ever held or enjoyed. The said Earl was the son and heir of Henry Marquess of Exeter, whose honours were forfeited by attainder; and grandson of William Earl of Devon by the Princess Elizabeth his wife, daughter of King Edward the Fourth. Edward Earl of Devon died in September 1556, without issue; and the title remained unclaimed until the year 1830, when Viscount Courtenay urged his right to the honour as collateral heir male of the last Earl, he being heir male of the body of Sir Philip Courtenay of Powderham, a younger brother of Sir Edward Courtenay, which Sir Edward was the eldest son of Hugh second Earl of Devon, (but died in vita patris) and ancestor of the subsequent Earls. Upon establishing his pedigree, and proving that all the elder male branches of the Courtenay family were extinct, the House of Lords, on the 14th March 1831, admitted Lord Courtenay's right to the Earldom of Devon under the patent of 1553, by the following resolution:

Resolved and adjudged that William Viscount Courtenay hath made out his claim to the title, honour, and dignity of Earl of Devon."

His Lordship, however, never took his seat as Peer, having remained out of the country from that period until his death. He was unmarried; and is succeeded in the Earldom by William Courtenay, esq. assistant Clerk of the Parliament, elder son of GENT. MAG. VOL. IV.

the late Rt. Rev. Henry Reginald Courtenay, D.D. Lord Bishop of Exeter, and grandson of Henry Reginald Courtenay, esq. younger brother to the first Viscount. The Viscounty has become extinct.

The present Earl was born in 1777, and married in 1804, Lady Henrietta Leslie, daughter of the late Sir Lucas Papys, Bart. by Jane-Elizabeth Countess of Rothes, by whom he has issue the Hon. William-Reginald Courtenay, who married in 1830 Lady Elizabeth Fortescue, seventh daughter of Earl Fortescue, and has issue, and two other sons.

The remains of the late Earl of Devon lay in state at Powderham Castle on the 11th of June. A large number of persons from Exeter and the surrounding neighbourhood visited the mournful pageant. The funeral, which it was intended should be as private as circumstances would permit, took place the following day, the body being interred in the family vault in Powderham Church. The procession from the Castle consisted of the relatives of the deceased Nobleman, and some of the immediate friends of the family, together with several hundreds of the tenantry of Powderham and the adjoining parishes.

ADM. HON. SIR A. K. LEGGE, K. C. B. May 12. At his residence on Blackheath, in his 69th year, the Hon. Sir Arthur Kaye Legge, K. C.B. Admiral of the Blue; uncle to the Earl of Dartmouth, elder brother to the late Bishop of Oxford, and to Lady Feversham.

He was born Oct. 25, 1766, the sixth son of William second Earl of Dartmouth, by Frances- Catharine, only daughter and heiress of Sir Charles Gunter Nicholls, K. B. He entered the Navy at an early age, and had the honour of being a shipmate with his present Majesty on board the Prince George, bearing the flag of Rear-Adm. Digby, on the American station. In 1791 he commanded the Shark sloop, stationed in the Channel; and in 1793 was made post in the Niger 32, which was one of the repeaters in the glorious victory of the 1st June 1794.

In the spring of 1795, the Latona frigate, to which he had been removed from the Niger, formed one of the squadron which escorted the Princess Caroline of Brunswick to this country. About May 1797 he was appointed to the Cambrian 40, in which he captured several privateers off the French coast, and was in occasional attendance on their Majesties at Weymouth, until the close of the war.



Major-Gen. Sir J. Campbell.—Capt. Sir C. M. Schomberg.

Soon after the renewal of the hostilities in 1803, he obtained the command of the Repulse, a new 74, attached to the West. ern squadron. Early in 1805 he captured a valuable Spanish merchantman, off Ferrol; and in the same year was present in the action between Sir Robert Calder and the combined fleets of France and Spain. He was afterwards ordered to the Mediterranean; and in 1807 accompanied Sir T. Duckworth to the Dardanelles, where the Repulse had 10 killed and 14 wounded. He afterwards went on the Walcheren expedition, and being attacked with fever at Flushing, was obliged to resign the command of his ship, and return to England.

Capt. Legge was promoted to the rank of Rear-Admiral July 31, 1810. In the spring of 1811 he was appointed to the command at Cadiz, having the Revenge 74 for his flag-ship; and remained there until Sept. 1812. He was afterwards appointed to the command in the river Thames, and hoisted his flag on the Thisbe frigate off Greenwich, where it continued during the remainder of the war. He became a Vice- Admiral 1814, K. C. B. 1815, and Admiral 1830.

In 1801 he was nominated a Groom of His Majesty's Bedchamber, in which character he walked at the funeral of George the Third.

Sir Arthur was never married. He has died possessed of a very large fortune, which he has distributed among his nephews and nieces. He has bequeathed to his butler, named Smith, who has been many years in his service, the sum of 3,000l. together with the whole of his valuable wardrobe. He has also left to Green, his coachman, 1,0007; to Burford, his footman, 1,C007; to Kitson, the groom, 1,0004; and to his housekeeper, 1,000. To his housemaid, who had only been three months in his service, he has bequeathed the sum of 50%. In addition to these legacies, he has ordered the sum of 100. to be paid to each of his servants in lieu of half a year's wages. His remains were interred in the family vault in Lewisham churchyard.

May 6.
At Paris, Major-General Sir
James Campbell, K.C.B., K.C.H.,
K.T.S. Colonel of the 74th regiment.


which he joined at Madras; and in two years after was appointed Lieut.-Colonel. He served in the field during the Mahratta war from Jan. 1803 to March 1806, and for a time commanded a brigade. In Oct. 1807 his regiment, which had then been longest abroad, was drafted and sent home, where it arrived in April 1808, consisting of only 130 men. After being recruited, it embarked for Jersey in Sept. 1809, and for Portugal in Jan, following; from whence they proceeded to Cadiz, where this officer commanded a brigade and the garrison, and returned to Lisbon in Sept. 1810. Upon joining the army, he commanded a brigade of the third division until June 1812, and led it to victory at Ciudad Rodrigo, Badajos, and Salamanca, as he did his own corps at Fuentes d'Onor and Vittoria. At the first of these he headed his own regiment, which stormed and carried the great breach. He was twice severely wounded, at Salamanca and Vittoria. He became a brevet Colonel 1813, C.B. in 1815, received permission to accept the insignia of the Tower and Sword, March 11, 1816; Major-General 1819; K.C.B. Dec. 3, 1822; he was appointed to the Coloneley of the 94th foot in 183.; and to that of the 74th on the 12th of December last. In 1818, on the temperary disbandment of the 94th regiment, he was presented by the officers of that corps with a sword as a memorial of their respect and

This officer was appointed Ensign in the first foot in 1791, and Lieutenant in 1794; and in September of the latter year obtained a company in the 42d. He served at Gibraltar; and was at the capture of Minorca in 1798. He was appointed Major of the Argyle-fencibles, Jan. 3, 1799, and joined them in Ireland. In 1802 he exchanged into the 94th foot,


He married March 18, 1817, Lady Dorothea-Louisa Cuffe, younger daughter of Otway first Earl of Desart, and aunt to the present Earl.


Jan. 2. On-board the President flagship, in Carlisle Bay, Dominica, his Excellency Sir Charles Marsh Schomberg, C.B., K.C.H., K. T.S., Capt. R. N. and Lieut.-Governor of that island.

Sir Charles was the son of Capt. Sir Alexander Schomberg, R. N. by MarySusannah-Arabella, daughter of the Rev. Mr. Chalmers. He was born at Dublin; and entered the naval service on board the Dorset yacht, the command of which was held for many years by his father, in attendance on several Viceroys of Ireland. On the breaking out of the French revolutionary war, he passed into active service under the celebrated Adm. Macbride, until the year 1795, when he was promoted to be Lieutenant of the Minotaur, in which capacity he was serving at the time of the mutiny in 1797. He was subsequently engaged in several severe boat actions with the Spanish flotilla and land batteries at Cadiz, for his conduct in which he received the approbation of Earl

St. Vincent. The Minotaur afterwards joined Nelson off Toulon, and bore a distinguished part in the battle of the Nile; and during his subsequent services in the Mediterranean, Lieut. Schomberg on all occasions displayed zeal and activity, particularly in a gallant and successful attack upon two Spanish corvettes, off Barcelona.

He next accompanied Lord Keith to Egypt, as Flag Lieutenant of the Fourdroyant, and was sent by the Admiral to Grand Cairo, to keep up a communication with the Turkish army, and continued in that arduous service until the termination of hostilities, notwithstanding he had been promoted to the Termagant sloop of war; after which he joined the Charon 44, and assisted in conveying the French troops from Alexandria to Malta.

He was employed in various negociations up to 1803, and in August of that year was made Post into the Madras 54, İying at Malta; where he remained until that ship was dismantled in 1807, and then returned to England.

His next appointment was to the Hibernia 120, as flag Captain to Sir W. Sidney Smith, and he removed with the Admiral into his former ship, the Fourdroyant, for the purpose of conveying the Royal Family of Portugal to Rio Janeiro. In 1810 he was appointed to the Astrea 36, in which he proceeded to the East India station, and in company with the Phoebe, Galatea, and Racehorse, captured, after a hard-fought and gallant action, on the 20th May 1811, la Renommee frigate of 44 guns, one of a squadron that had committed great depredations in the Indian seas. He subsequently recovered the settlement of Tamatan, in Madagascar, and captured another French frigate lying in the port.

military commanders present, acting as chief mourners.

In April 1813 he succeeded to the command of the Nisus 38, and proceeded from the Cape station to South America, whence he conveyed a valuable fleet, and was paid off in March 1814. At the enlargement of the Order of the Bath, in Jan. 1815, he was nominated a C.B.; and on the 30th Aug. following, received permission to accept the insignia of a Commander of the Tower and Sword. In 1820 he was appointed to the Rochford 80, destined for the flag of Sir Graham Moore. In 1824 he returned with that officer from the Mediterranean, his time of service being expired. In Feb. 1833 he was appointed Lieut.-Governor of Dominica, where his wise and impartial administration appears to have given complete satisfaction to the inhabitants. He was interred in St. Paul's Chapel, on the 2d of January, with military honours, Sir G. Cockburn and Sir L. Smith, the senior naval and

CAPT. W. KEMPTHORNE, R.N. Lately. At Exeter, William Kempthorne, esq. a Post Captain R.N.

This officer was a native of Penrhyn ; his father and maternal grandfather were both commanders in the Falmouth packetservice; and the name of the latter was Goodridge. He entered the navy in 1795, and served the whole of his time as Midshipman under the active and chivalrous command of Sir Edward Pellew, the late Viscount Exmouth. At the age of sixteen, he was carried prisoner into Rochelle, whence, however, after six weeks' captivity, he had the good fortune to escape, in company with Mr. Henry Gilbert, another Cornish youth, and in a few days more was again on board the Indefatigable. He attained the rank of Lieutenant in 1800.

Having proceeded with Sir Edward

Pellew in the Culloden 74 to the East Indies, Mr. Kempthorne was there appointed First Lieutenant of the Cornwallis frigate, in 1805; and in 1807 obtained the command of the Diana brig, in which he captured the Topaze piratical schooner, in May of that year (on which occasion he was severely wounded), and a Dutch national brig of six guns in August


Towards the close of that year he was employed, with a brig and cruizer under his orders, in blockading Canton; and in Sept. 1809 he captured the Dutch national brig Zephyr of 14 long-sixes. Whilst employed in the Eastern seas, he made several important hydrographical discoveries; one of which, an extensive and dangerous patch of coral to the south of the Natuma islands, he named after his little vessel the Diana; which was at length worn out, and laid up at the island of Rodrigues, in May 1810.

He was made Commander April 3, 1811, appointed to the Harlequin sloop, Nov. 11 following; and to the Beelzebub bomb, July 2, 1816, then under orders for Algiers. During the bombardment of that town he commanded the division of bombs; and after its surrender was appointed to act as Captain of the Queen Charlotte 108, bearing the flag of his early patron. He was promoted to Post rank on the 16th Sept. following; and continued to command the Queen Charlotte until she was put out of commission.

[A more particular memoir of Capt. Kempthorne will be found in Marshall's Royal Naval Biography, Supplement, part iv. pp. 114-116.]


May 13. At Clapham, in her 94th year, Elizabeth, widow of Capt. James Cook, R.N. the celebrated circumnavigator.

This venerable lady, remarkable alike from the eminence of her husband, and for the length of time she had survived him, as well as estimable for her private virtues, was married in the year 1762. She was a Miss Batts, of Barking in Essex; and Cook was then a Master in the Navy, thirty-four years of age. To the last she was generally accustomed to speak of him as "Mr. Cook," which was the style by which he had been chiefly known to her during his residence at home, as he was not appointed to the rank of Commander until 1771, nor to that of Post Captain till 1776. His death at Owhyhee took place on the 14th of Feb. 1779, having then been absent from England for more than two years and a half. Mrs. Cook had, after his departure, received from the Royal Society, the Copley gold medal, which had been voted to him for a paper explaining the means he had employed for preserving his crew in his previous voyages, and this, with many other interesting memorials, she treasured with faithful care.

When the tidings of Captain Cook's death were communicated to King George the Third, his Majesty immediately directed pensions to be settled on the widow and three surviving sons. But Mrs. Cook had the grievous misfortune to lose them all within a few years after. Nathaniel, the second, who had embraced the naval profession from hereditary emulation of his father's name, not without affectionate apprehensions on the part of his mother, was lost in 1780, at the age of sixteen, with Commodore Walsingham, in the Thunderer, which foundered at sea.

Hugh, who was considerably the youngest, died in 1793, at the age of seventeen, whilst a student in Christ's College, Cambridge. His mother had purchased the advowson of a living, with a view to his preferment; but he died unacquainted with a circumstance which might, if prematurely announced, have damped his personal exertions. James, the eldest, at the age of thirty-one, was drowned with his boat's crew, while Commander of the Spitfire sloop of war, off the Isle of Wight, in 1794. A daughter had previously died of dropsy, when about twelve years of age. The memory of these lamentable bereavements was never effaced from her mind, and there were some melancholy anniversaries which to the end of her days she devoted to seclusion and pious observance.

Mrs. Cook selected Clapham as her place of residence, many years since, on account of its convenience for her eldest son when coming to town by the Portsmouth coach. There her latter days were spent in intercourse with her friends, and in the conscientious discharge of those duties which her benevolent and kindly feelings dictated to her. Her amiable conduct in all social relations, her pious acquiescence and resignation under extraordinary family trials and deprivations, and her consistent sensible demeanour throughout a long life, secured her universal esteem and respect.

The body of Mrs. Cook was buried on the 22d May, in a vault in the church of St. Andrew the Great, in Cambridge, near those of her children, to whose memory there is already a monument. Mrs. Cook has munificently left 10007. three per cents. to that parish, under the following conditions:-The monument is to be maintained in perfect repair out of the interest, the Minister for the time being to receive 21. per ann. for his trouble in attending to the execution of this trust; and the remainder is to be equally divided, every year on St. Thomas's Day, between five poor aged women belonging to and residing in the parish of Great St. Andrew's, who do not receive parochial relief. The appointment is to be made each year by the Minister, Churchwardens, and Overseers. She has also bequeathed 7501. to the poor of Clapham ; and has left many handsome legacies to her friends; to her three servants, besides legacies, she has bestowed all the furniture in their respective rooms. She has bequeathed the Copley gold medal, before mentioned, and the medal struck in honour of her husband by order of George III. (of which there never were but five), to the British Museum. The Schools for the Indigent Blind and the Royal Maternity Charity, are benefited to the amount of nearly 1,000l. consols, besides various other public and private charities. Her will has been proved in the Prerogative Court of Canterbury by her relation, J. L. Bennett, esq. of Merton, and J. D. Blake, esq. the executors, and her property sworn under 60,000!.

EDWARD ROBERTS, ESQ. May 14. At Ealing, Middlesex, in his 88th year, Edward Roberts, esq. late Clerk of the Pells in his Majesty's Receipt of Exchequer.

Mr. Roberts was one of the most marked men of his time, and had associated with nearly all the celebrated political characters of the age, from the days of

his god-father Sir Edward Walpole, and his early friend Colonel Barré, down to the leading Members of Lord Liverpool's administration. He possessed a masculine understanding, with a particular quickness and acuteness of observation, e During a long and active career in th public service (upwards of sixty-one years) he was remarkable for those qualities which eminently pointed him out for offices of great trust and responsibility.

His personal character may be summed up in one word he was a finished gentle man of the old school-in the best and highest sense of the term. On a first in terview something bordering on austerity might be perceptible in his manner, but this common attribute of official men almost instantly vanished, and the natural amenity of his disposition displayed itself in the most attractive colours. His countenance was prepossessing in the extreme; his eye, though keen and piercing, clearly demonstrated a benevolent as well as ardent mind. He delivered his opinions on all subjects with the utmost energy and decision, and with an emphasis peculiar to himself. Few men could rival him in the variety and correctness of his information, or in the extent of his memory, at a very advanced period of life. Such was the accuracy and minuteness of his research, that it was difficult to call in question any historical fact, or even date, which he advanced. The same degree of exactness pervaded the arrangements of his private life, and nothing could exceed the beauty and elegance of his handwriting, but the vigour and perspicuity of his epistolary style.

It is to be hoped that a detailed memoir of this venerable man will be given to the public by the same admirable pen, which some years ago illustrated, in one of the most beautiful biographical sketches extant, the virtues and talents of his distinguished son, Barré Charles Roberts, Student of Christ Church, Oxford. (4to. 1814.) In the mean time this feeble tribute to the memory of Mr. Roberts is offered by one who felt himself both honoured and gratified by his friendship.

[We may add that at the time of his decease, Mr. Roberts was the senior member of the Company of Apothecaries of London, of which he served the office of Master some years since, and in which society he was regarded with the highest respect.]


Nov. 21. Within the rules of the King's Bench, in her 63d year, Mrs. Olivia Serres, the self-styled Princess Olive of Cumberland.

This extraordinary and aspiring impostor was born at Warwick, April 3, 1772, and baptized at St. Nicolas church in that town, on the 15th of the same month, being the daughter of Mr. Robert Wilmot, a house-painter, and Anna-Maria his wife. She was educated under the protection of her uncle, the Rev. James Wilmot, D.D. Fellow of Trinity college, Oxford, and Rector of Barton on the Heath in Warwickshire, and whilst living with him, shortly after quitting school, she appeared as a witness upon a very extraordinary trial for a burglary in her uncle's house, for which two men were convicted and executed. Her story was very marvellous, and her condnet, as she represented it, highly heroic.

At an early age she was married to Mr. John Thomas Serres, who had the appointment of Marine Painter to the King and Duke of Clarence, and was a son of Count Dominick Serres, one of the early members of the Royal Academy. After a few years they separated, and Mrs. Serres had to support herself and children by her own efforts. In 1806 she was herself appointed Landscape Painter to the Prince of Wales. We believe she at one time made her appearance on the stage, and she is said to have performed Polly iu the Beggar's Opera. Mr. Serres died on the 28th of December 1825; and a memoir of him will be found in the Gentleman's Magazine, vol. xcvi. i. 280.

Always possessing a busy and romantic imagination, Olivia at an early age essayed her powers in original composition; but we believe she did not venture before the public until the year 1805, when she printed a novel called "St. Julian." In the following year, she put forth her poetical miscellanies, under the title of "Flights of Fancy." She also published theCastle of Avala," an opera; and "Letters of Advice to her Daughters."

In 1813 she embarked in the first of her attempts to gull the British public, by proclaiming her late uncle before mentioned to have been the long-sought author of Junius. His pretensions were advanced in an octavo volume, entitled, "The Life of the Rev. James Wilmot, D.D." (see the Monthly Review, N. S. LXXII, 94, and Gent. Mag. LXXXIII, ii. 413.) The claim was completely negatived by letters from Dr. Butler of Shrewsbury and Mr. G. Woodfall, which appear in the Gentleman's Magazine for August 1813 (ibid. p. 99.) Mrs. Serres replied in Nov. p. 413, and Mr. Woodfall honoured her with one more rejoinder in Dec. p. 545. The lady was indulged with further attention in the next volume,

« ПредыдущаяПродолжить »