Изображения страниц

"On the 14th of October, 1795, he was again elected, by the concurring vote of all parties, member of the Legislature, and the same day, and without his knowledge, a member of Congress for the adjacent district of Washington and Allegheny counties. He took his seat in Congress in December, 1795, and was elected by the same district three successive terms, and would have been the fourth, but for the accession of Thomas Jefferson to the Presidency, by whom he was appointed Secretary of the Treasury, in 1801.

"Mr. Gallatin addressed himself at once to the extinguishment of the public debt, which amounted to over $100,000,000. Between the 1st of April, 1801, and the 1st of January, 1812, the disbursement on account of the public debt was $52,400,000.

"In 1813, he was appointed one of the commissioners to Ghent, and during his absence negotiated at London the commercial convention. between this country and England which succeeded the war. The rest of his public life was passed in the diplomatic service. He was a minister to France from 1816 to 1823, within which period he was deputed in 1817 to the Netherlands, and in 1818 to England, to which country he was appointed Minister Plenipotentiary in 1826. He returned to this country in 1827, and took up his residence in the city of New York. During this period he has constantly kept his eye upon public affairs, though not taking any public responsibilities.

"In 1840 he published an essay on the North-eastern Boundary question, and more recently an historical dissertation upon the map of Mr. Jay, which was read before the New York Historical Society. He has also, since his retirement, published two elaborate and ingenious pamphlets on the currency. To Mr. Gallatin, as much as any one, the public owes the resumption of specie payments by the banks of New York, in May, 1838.

"During his retirement, Mr. Gallatin made several valuable contributions to the New York Historical and Ethnological Societies, besides those we have referred to."

He died at Astoria, near New York, on the 12th of August, 1849. Our limits will not permit us to descant upon his merits as a statesman, a scholar, and a citizen. His career has been an eventful one, and he died full of years and honour.

In the obituary for May last will be found a notice of the death of Mrs. Gallatin, a lady of great worth, whom in the short space of three months Mr. Gallatin has followed to the grave. His funeral obsequies were performed at Trinity Church, New York, on the 14th of August, and the following gentlemen were the pall bearers: Cornelius W. Lawrence, Dr. J. A. Smith, Judge S. Jones, Judge Ulshoffer, William B. Astor, Beverly Robinson, Robert Hyslop, and Dr. Watson.

[blocks in formation]
[ocr errors][merged small][merged small]

Died, at Goshen, New Hampshire, MRS. ELIZABETH GRINDELL, at the advanced age of 104 years. She leaves a descendant of the fifth generation.

At Ogechee, some weeks previous, MRS. LOURANIA THROWER, who was at least one hundred and thirty-three years of age.

At a census taken in 1825, her age was put down at 110, and some accounts made her 137 at the time of her death. She had seven children before the revolution; her youngest living child is between 70 and 80; she has great-grand-children 30 years old, and a number of greatgreat-great-grand children living in Florida. Her sight failed her for a while, but returned about 20 years ago, so that she could thread a needle, or read the finest print. Her faculties remained almost unimpaired till her death. She had been a member of the Baptist Church for more than a hundred years.

In England, GEN. CHARLTON, of the British army, at the advanced age of ninety-four years, seventy-seven of which he spent in the military service of his country, which he entered as a cadet, saw much active service, hard fighting included, and had the good fortune to be "gazetted," as they say in England, in every grade.

At Rush, Monroe County, New York, CAPTAIN ELNATHAN PERRY, ninety years old. He was a venerable relict of the revolutionary era -having entered the army at fifteen, and fought at Bennington, Saratoga, Monmouth, Eutaw, Yorktown, and many other fields of the war for independence.

At Dublin, Ireland, CLARENCE MAGNAN, a somewhat distinguished writer. He died in abject penury. He was well known by his poetical translations from German literature, being the author of "Anthologia Germanica," "Leaflets from the German Oak," and a variety of essays in the "University Magazine." The misery in which he lived for many years was very great, as his wretched health prevented him from labour. Within the last ten days he was an inmate of one of the temporary hospitals provided for cholera patients.

15th. In England, SIR CHARLES R. VAUGHAN, formerly ambassador to the United States. He was the fourth son of Dr. Vaughan, a physician of considerable reputation at Leicester, whose care in the educa

* A part of the Obituary of June, 1849, will be found in the June number.

[ocr errors][merged small]

tion of his sons is testified in the success achieved by several of them in their respective professions. Besides the subject of this notice, one of these was the late Sir John Vaughan, one of the justices of the Court of Common Pleas. Sir Charles Vaughan was originally designed for the medical profession, and took the degree of M. B. at Oxford. He obtained a travelling fellowship on the Ratcliffe foundation, and was thus led in the earlier period of his life to visit many countries in Europe and Asia. In 1809 he acted as private secretary in the Foreign-office, having been appointed by Earl Bathurst. In the following year he became, under the administration of the Marquis of Wellesley, Secretary of Legation and Embassy in Spain, and was Minister Plenipotentiary to the Confederated States of Switzerland, and in 1825 Envoy Extraordinary to the United States of America, having been sworn a member of the Privy Council.

HON. CALVIN BLYTHE of Philadelphia, an eminent lawyer. At a meeting of the members of the Philadelphia bar, held on the 20th June, his public services and private worth were noticed after the following


"Calvin Blythe, whose death, we in common with our fellow citizens deplore, was born in the county of Adams, where he also died. In this county, the career of his usefulness as a citizen, and his greatness as a man commenced. In 1813 he marched as a private soldier in a company of Adams county volunteers to the North-Western frontier. He was at the battle of Chippewa, Lundy's Lane, Buffalo, and at the storming of Fort Erie. He was by the side of the gallant Adjutant Poe, who fell at Chippewa, and was appointed his successor. At the close of the war he returned to his native county and completed his law studies. He commenced the practice of law at Mifflintown, (then) Mifflin county, and was successful. The people showed their appreciation of him by electing him to the House of Representatives, and afterwards to the Senate. He was appointed Secretary of the Commonwealth by Gov. Shultz; and he was twice appointed President Judge of the Judicial district composed of Dauphin, Lebanon, and Schuylkill counties. He was twice appointed Collector of the Port of Philadelphia.

"After the expiration of the term of his office as Collector under President Tyler, he devoted the remainder of his life to the practice of the law at the Philadelphia Bar, where his kindness of heart as well as his professional worth, caused him to be most highly cherished.

"The death of such a man is not only a loss to be lamented by the Bar, of which he was a most esteemed member, but by the community at large, of which he was one of the most useful members as well as purest ornaments."

20th. At Paris, of cholera, MADAME CAVAIGNAC, the mother of the celebrated Gen. Cavaignac.

At the city of Paris, GEN. DONADIEU, who took a prominent part in politics under Louis XVIII. and Charles X.

Also, recently, at the same place, LADY BLESSINGTON, an English lady, and MADAME RECAMIER, a French lady; both were celebrated for their personal charms and accomplishments, and received the homage of many distinguished personages in Europe. The latter was frequently visited by kings and princes.

22d. In Greenville Co., Virginia, MRS. E. MASON, the mother of John Y. Mason, late Secretary of the Navy, aged seventy-six years. About a month before, her husband died at the age of eighty. They were distinguished by all the virtues which grace private life, and had been married fifty-seven years.

At Lexington, Ky., ELISHA J. WINTER, ESQ., formerly President of the Lexington and Ohio Rail-Road Company.

The Louisville Courier says that a wayward son of Mr. Winter's, who had long been estranged from his father, upon hearing of the illness of his parent, hurried from Cincinnati to Lexington to nurse him. He performed his filial duties with fidelity, was attacked with cholera at the funeral, and died. And thus, of a large family of the most promising boys in Lexington, but two survive Mr. Winter-and one of them has long been an inmate of the Lunatic Asylum.

At Albany, N. Y., HON. HARMANUS BLEECKER, formerly Minister of the United States to the Hague; a gentleman of fine acquirements, and excellent sense, who deservedly stood high in the estimation of his fellow citizens.

In Russia, MAJOR WHISTLER, a celebrated American Engineer, who was in the employ of the Emperor; and under whose direction the great rail-roads of Russia have been constructed.

JULY, 1849.

In Gallatin, Ky., CAPTAIN JACOB WATTS, one of the very earliest settlers of the Miami Valley, in the ninety-third year of his age. While a boy he left New Jersey, with his father's family, for the Redstone settlement, on the western frontier of Pennsylvania, and was at that place when the Declaration of Independence was adopted and published. He mingled freely in the frontier conflicts of the revolutionary war, and the Cincinnati Chronicle says of his subsequent ca


"He was one of the small party that planted themselves at the mouth of the Little Miami, and commenced the village of Columbia in the fall of 1788, which was the first settlement made within the limits of Judge Symmes's purchase. Being a bold, fearless adventurer, he left the settlement, erected a block-house on his land, seven or eight miles in the wilderness, to which he removed his family, and began an improvement

soon after the commencement of the Indian war which was terminated by the treaty of Greenville in 1795. During the war his block-house was attacked by a strong party of Indians, who were repulsed and compelled to retreat."

In Rahway, New Jersey, of cholera, MARY KNIGHT, sister of the brave Gen. Worrall, at the age of ninety. She was one of those devoted women that helped to relieve the horrible sufferings of Washington's army at Valley Forge-cooking and carrying provisions to them, alone through the depth of winter, even passing through the outposts of the British army in the disguise of a market woman. And when Washington was compelled to retreat before a superior force, she had the tact and courage to conceal her brother, Gen. Worrall, (when the British set a price on his head for his bravery,) in a cider hogshead in the cellar for three days, and fed him through the bung-hole; the house in the mean time being ransacked four different times at Frankfort, Pennsylvania, by the British troops in search of him, without suc


3d. At Sandystown, New Jersey, REV. JAMES G. FORCE, at the age of eighty-four-and fifty-seventh of his ministry. He was a graduate of Princeton College, and at the time of the Revolutionary war, although a youth, he took up arms in defence of his country, and participated in the battle of Springfield, New Jersey.

4th. In Boston, HON. JOHN R. ADAN. He graduated at Harvard University in 1813, and read law in the office of the late Judge William Prescott, in that city. He presided over the City Council several years, represented Suffolk County in the Senate, and was several times. a Counsellor of the Government. Distinguished by his sound judgment, unerring prudence, and honourable fidelity, he passes away most sincerely respected and deeply lamented.

At Hanover, Indiana, of cholera, REV. SYLVESTER SCOVEL, D. D., President of Hanover College. He was born March 3d, 1796. He graduated at Williams College in 1822, pursued his theological studies at Princeton, was licensed by the Presbytery of Albany, and preached between four and five years in New Jersey and Pennsylvania. In 1820 he went to the West as a missionary of the Board of Missions; and after labouring about seven years as a missionary and a pastor, he was appointed an agent of the Board, in the service of which he spent eleven years. He became President of Hanover College in 1846, a little less than three years ago.

5th. At Cincinnati, of cholera, MRS. DR. REDINGTON. She was the wife of a physician, and herself a practitioner. The disease which carried her off was occasioned by fatigue in constant attention to a sick patient. She is spoken of as a most exemplary woman in all the walks of life. As a physician, she promised well, and though not pre

« ПредыдущаяПродолжить »