« ПредыдущаяПродолжить »
How sweet the tidings are !
That hear this joyful sound,
That see this heavenly light!
And cheerful notes employ;
And heathens learn the joy. 190. L. M. The love of God displayed in the gospel.
To thee my heart, eternal King,
3. There, what delightful truths are given ! There Jesus shows the way to heaven; His name salutes my listening ear, Revives my heart, and checks my fear.
4. There Jesus bids our sorrows cease, And gives the labouring conscience peace; Raises our grateful feelings high, And points to mansions in the sky.
5. For love like this, O may my song Through endless years thy praise prolong; And distant climes thy name adore, Till time and nature are no more!
191. c. M.
1. LORD, I have made thy word my choice,
My lasting heritage;
That guides us all the day;
A lamp to lead our way.
3. I'll read the histories of thy love,
And keep thy laws in sight, While through the promises I rove
With ever-fresh delight.
'Tis a broad land of wealth unknown,
Where springs of life arise ; Seeds of immortal bliss are sown, And hidden glory lies.
It makes our sorrows blest;
It turns not back again;
By providence divine:
3. “So,” saith the God of grace, “My gospel shall descend, “Almighty to effect “The purpose I intend; « Millions of souls shall feel its power, " And bear it down to millions more.”
193. L. M. The happy effects of religious knowledge.
4. So shall the haughtiest soul submit, With children placed at Jesus' feet: The noisy swell of pride shall cease, And thy sweet voice be heard in peace.
194. C. M.
1. “ PREPARE,” the appointed herald cried,
“ The Lord's straight path prepare : “Let valleys rise, let hills subside, “And rugged ways grow fair.
2. " Then shall the race of man behold
“Salvation from on high; “Then shall the Saviour long foretold “ Commence his ministry.
3. Spotless the heaven-taught Teacher stood,
And meekly bow'd his head, While from old Jordan's sacred flood Baptismal rites were shed.
4. Now spake the announcing voice of heaven,
While bright the glory shone: “To you the Christ of God is given, “Jehovah's chosen Son!
5. “Him hear; with him my covenant stands;
“With power I him invest; “I place my sceptre in his hands, My truth inspires his breast.
6. With joy we hear the gospel's laws ;
We love the Saviour's name; We bless the First Eternal Cause,
From age to age the same.