« ПредыдущаяПродолжить »
we being i dead to fin, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed. 25. For ye were as fheep going * aftray ; but are now returned unto the Shepherd and bishop of your souls.
CHA P. III. TIKEWISE ye a wives, be in fubje£tion to your Down husbands; that if any obey not the word,
they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives, 2. While they cbehold your chaste conversation coupled with fear. 3. d Whose adorning, let it not be that outward adorning, of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel : 4. But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet fpirit, which is in the fight of God of great price. 5. For after this manner in the f old time, the holy women also who trusted in God, adorned themselves, being in subjection unto their own husbands; 6. Even as Sara obeyed Abraham, calling him & lord: whose * daughters [Gr. children] ye are as long as ye do well, and are not afraid with any amazement. 7. Likewise ye h husbands, dwell with them according to knowledge, giving honour unto the wife as unto the i weaker vessel, and as being heirs together oi the grace of life ; k that your prayers be not hindred,
B b 2
. 8. Fi.
it Rom. 7. 6. See on Rom. 2.9. 6. 2.
4. Pfal. 45. 13: The Kings 25. * Psal. 119.176. I have gone Daughter is all glorious within ; aftray like a loft Sheep.-- Jer. 30.6. her clothing is of wrought Gold. My People hath been loft Sheep - st Rom. 2. 29. t 2 Cor. 4. 16., + Ifa. 53. 6. All we like Sheep See on Rom. 7. 22: have gone astray : we have turned 5. f Deut. 22. 7. Remember the every one to his own way . Days of old, consider the Years of
if Ezek. 34. 23. † Ezek. 37. many Generacions. 24. † Heb. 13. 20. See on Joh. 10 6.87 Gen. 18. 12. My Lord 10. 11. '
being old also. CHA P. III.
7. n t Eph. 5. 25. † Col. 3. 19. 1.? :: 1 Cor. 14. 34. Eph.s. See on 1 Cor. 7. 3. 22. + Col. 3. 18. † Tit. 2. §. i.: i Thef. 4. 4. That every See on 1 Cor. II 3.
sone of you should know how to itt i Cor. 7.16. t Mat. 18.15. poffefs his Veflel in Sanctification T i Cor. 9. 19, 22. . See on Rom. and honour.
k + Job 42. 8. † Mat. 13. 19. 2.C.: 1 Pet. 2. 12..
See on Mat. 5. 23,24. 3. ^ † Tit. 2. 3. See on 1 Tim 20
8. Finally, be ye all of one mind, having m compaffion one of another, n * love as [Or, loving to the] brethren, be pitiful, be courteous: 9. ' Not rendring evil for evil, or railing for railing: but contrariwife, blessing; knowing p that ye are thereunto called, that ye should inherit a blessing. 10. For he that will love life, and see good days, let him 9' refrain his tongue from evil, and his lips that they speak no guile. Ir. Let him 'eschew evil, and do good ; let hims. seek peace, and ensue it. 12. For the w eyes of the Lord are over the righteous, and his ears are a open unto their prayers: but the face of the Lord is * against [Gr. upon] them that do evil. 13. And
who is he that will harm you, if ye be followers of that which is good ? 14. But and if ye d suffer for righteousness fake, happy are ye : and be not afraid of their
terror, . 8.' † Rom. 12. 16. * Rom. 15. have they feared nor walked in my 5. f Phil. 3. 16. See on Joh. Law, nor in my Statutes that I fet
before you. Therefore thus Em See on Col. 3:12.
faith the Lord of Hofts, the God of - n See on Joh. 13. 34.
s Ifrael, Behold, I will set my Face au ! 9. Prov. 20, 22. Rom. 12. gainst you for evil.- Amos 9.4. 17. ti Thef. s. 15. See on Mat. Though they go into Captivity be 5. 39.
'fore their Enemies, thence will I p of Mat. 25. 34. Come ye bles command the Sword, and it shall sed of my Father, inherit the king- 10 slay them, and I will set mine Eyes dom prepared for you from the upon them for evil, and not for Foundation of the World. 1 Tim. good. 4 8 --Godliness is profitable un 13. < Prov. 16.7. When a Mans to all things, insaving the Promise of Ways please the Lord, he maketh the Life that now is, and of that is even his Enemies to be at peace with which is to come. i.
him. ; Tab. 12. 7.- Do that 16. I + Pfal. 34. 13. See on which is good, and no evil thall Jam, 1, 26.
touch you. 11.' + Pfal. 37. 27. 't Ifa. I. 14. 8+ Mat. 5. 10, 11, 12, SI 16. 3 Joh. ver. 11. See on Rom.20 Pet, 2. 19. i Pec. 4. 14. See 12. 9.
on Heb. 11. 26. s See on Mar. 9. 50. . . etIsa. 8. 12,13. Neither fear
12. Pfal. 34, 15, 16. Job 36. " ye their fear,nor be afraid. Sandi7. He withdraweth not his Eyes from fie the Lord of Hosts himself, and .the. Righteous. Pfal. 33. 18. Be- 25 let him be your fear, and let him hold the Eye of the Lord is upon be your dread. + Jer. 1. 8. Be wat them that fear lim : upon them afraid of their Faces: for I am thac hope in his mercy. Rom. 8. with thee to deliver thee faith the 228. We know that all things werk Lord. Joh. 14. 27. Peace I leave together for good to them that love 30'with you, my Peace I give unto God
you': 'not as the World giveth, . 2 See on Joh. 9:31. ...
give I unto you,. Let, not your . b Jer. 44, 1o, il. They are not , Heart be troubled, neither let it be humbled unto this Day, neither afraid. “*
them Pardon if they would repent ; to which end they had the Space of an hundred and twenty Years allowed them. They were withal alsured, that if they did not repent and amend, they fhould all, as condemned Prisoners, be destroyed by the waters of the Flood ; which ac• cordingly came to pass, they continuing obstinate and unreformed. But Noah and his Family, consisting of eight Perfonis, being free from those abominable Vices the rest of Mankind were guilty of, were, by the Ark, saved out of, or from the Water.
LCH A P. IV. DORASMUCH then as Chrift hath a suffered
' for us in the flesh, arm 'your felves likewise with he fame mind: for • he that hath suffered in the flesh, ath ceafed from fin; 2. ¢ That he no longer should live he rest of his time in the flesh, to the lusts of men, - but o the will of God. 3. For the time paft of our life may fuffice us to have fwrought the will of the Gentiles, when le walked in lafcivioufnels, lufts, excess of wine, revellings, anquetings, and abominable idolatries : 4. Wherein they hink it s strange that you run not with them to the same xcess of riot, h speaking evil of you: 5. Who Thall give ccount to him that is ready to i judge the k quick and the ead. 6. For, for this cause was the Gospel' preached also to hem that are(1) dead, that they might be judged aecording to ien in the flesh, but live according to God in the Spirit.
1.2: 1 Pet. 3. 18. See on Heb. your Exaétions from my People, 27.
faith the Lord God. ; Acts 17. See on Rom. 6.2, 4.
30. The Times of this ignorance God 2. C. Rom. 14.7.'+ Gal. 2., winked at ; but now commandeth all 0. 1 Pet. 2. 1. See on Rom. 5 Men every where to repent.
ft Eph. 4. 17. : Tit. 3. 3. 1: Joh. 1. 13. Which were See on i Cor. 6. 11. orn not of Blood. nor of the : 4.8 Ifa. 8. 18. Behold, I and Vill of the Fleshi, nor of the Will the Children whom the Lord hath
Man, but of God. ; Jam. 1. 18.10 given me, are for Signs, and Won. of his own Will begat he us with ders in Israel. he Word of Truth
ht Acts 18. 6. See on A&ts 13. 3.4.f Ezek. 44. 6. -Thus faisla 45. he Lord God, o ye House of Il. s. i See on A&s 10.42. . ael, Let it fuffice you of all your Ais k t 1 Cor. 15. 51. Behold, ! yominations. + Ezek. 45.9. Thus thew you a Mystery ; We ihall aith the Lord God, Let it fuffice not all Aleep, but we ihall all be O, O Princes of Israel: remove changed. Violence and Spoil, and execute 6. See on Joh. 5. 25. and on udyment and Justice, take away 20 1 Pet. 3. 19.
(1) This Word is, I conceive, to be understood not in a proper, but na figurative Senfe : And then it stands for chose dead in Sin. Some think it refers to those mentioned in the 19th Verse of the former Chaper; others, that it takes in the whole Gentile or Heathen World, whom st. Paul speaks of as dead in Trilpasses and Sins. The Gospel was preached o them, that they might be judged, or might judge, condemn, and oppolę heir former Life, led according to Men, not enlightned by the Gospel,
e Fl.th, but might live wording to God in, or by the Alistance of