« ПредыдущаяПродолжить »
“ Sandracottus (Chandragupta) was of humble origir, but was called to royalty by the power of the gods; for, having offended Alexander by his impertinent language, he was ordered to be put to death, and escaped by flight. Fatigued with his journey, he lay down to rest, when a lion of large size came and licked off the sweat that poured from him, with his tongue, and retired without doing him any harm. The prodigy inspired him with ambitious hopes, and, collecting bands of robbers, he roused the Indians to rebellion. When he prepared for war against the captain of Alexander, a wild elephant of enormous size approached him, and received him on his back, as if he had been tamed. He was a distinguished general and a brave soldier. Having thus acquired power, Sandracottus reigned over India at the time when Seleucus was laying the foundation of his greatness, and Seleucus entered into a treaty with him.”
Examiner.-Rev. K. M. BANERJEA.
1. What is the traditional account of the composition of the Bhatti, and what are its peculiarities as compared with other poems ?
विग्रहस्तव शक्रेण रहस्पति पुरोधसा |
करिष्यमाणं विज्ञेयं कार्य किन्नु कृतं परैः ।
अत्तुं महेन्द्रियं भागमैति दुपच्यवनोऽधुना । 2. Translate these lines into English-Parse नायास्थं नाज्ञास्यः and प्रमाद्यन् । Give the meanings of शून्यः and चारदुर्बलः
मांसान्योछावलोप्यानि साधनीयानि देवताः।
अनन्ति रामाद्रक्षांसि विभ्यत्य श्रुवते दिपाः॥ 3. Are अनन्ति and अश्नुवते both from the same root ? if not, explain the difference. Give the 3rd sing. 2nd preterite 37 of both.
कुरु बुद्धिं कुशाग्रीयामनुकामीनतां त्यज ।
लक्ष्मी परम्परीणां त्वं पुत्रपौत्रीणतां नय ॥ 4. Derive परम्परीणां and पुत्रपौत्रीणतां and give their meanings.
श्वःश्रेयसमवाप्तासि माटभ्यां प्रत्यभाणि सा।
वहुमूर्द्राहिमूद्धांश्च त्रिमूर्द्धाश्चाहतां मधे । 5. Why is it श्रेयसं and not श्रेयः ?
6. What part of the verb is gifura? 7. What is the meaning of graff why is it hit and not भोरा? 8. Parse सम्पततः and चाहता 9. Why is it fangia and not fer un like the preceding word ?
10. How is अलङ्कारः defined and explained in the Sahitya Darpana ? सर्वखं हर सर्वस्य त्वं भवच्छेदतत्परः । नयोपकारसांमुख्यमायासि तनुवर्त्तनं ॥ चन्द्रायते शुक्लरचापि हंसोहंसायते चारगोन कान्ता। कान्तायते स्पर्शसुखेन वारि वारीयते खच्छतया विहायः॥ हंसश्चन्द्रस्वाभाति जलं व्योमतलं यथा। विमला कुमदानीव तारकाः शरदागमे ॥ अस्य राज्ञोरहे भान्ति भूपानीता विभूतयः। पुरन्दरस्य भवने कल्परक्षभवा इव ॥ कमलेव मतिर्मतिरिव कमला तनुरिव विभा विभेव तनुः । धरणीव तिर्छ तिरिव धरण सततं विभाति बत यस्य । पान्तु वोजलदण्यामाः शाज्याघातकर्कशाः । त्रैलोक्य मण्डपस्तम्भाश्चत्वारोहरिवाहवः ।
11. Explain the alankára in the above slokas, and translate the first four and the last two lines.
12. Translate the following passage into English : केचिदाहुः धयमलङ्कारोनियमेनालङ्कारान्तरविच्छित्तिमूलः उक्तोदाहरणे च शिशुत्वादीनांनि यमाभिप्रायात् प्रिय त्वादर्भिनत्वाध्यवसाय इत्यतिशयोक्तिरस्ति तत्मभावेऽपिच प्रग्रहीट. भेदेन नानात्वप्रतीतिरूयोविच्छित्तिविशेष उल्लेखाख्यभिन्ना. लवारप्रयोजकः श्रीकण्ठजनपदवर्णने वचपञ्जरमिति प्ररणा
गतैरम्बरविवरमिति वातिकरित्यादिश्चातिशयोर्विवितोविषयः। इह च रूपकालङ्कारयोगः वस्तुतस्तु अम्बरविवरमि. त्यादी भान्तिमन्तमेवेच्छन्ति न रूपकं भेदप्रतीतिपुरःसरस्यैवारोपस्य गोणीमलरूपका दिप्रयोजकत्वात् यदाहुः शारीरकमीमांसाभाष्यव्याख्याने श्रीमहाचस्पविमिश्राः अपिच पर. शब्दः परत्र लक्ष्यमाणगुणयोगेन वर्त्तते इति ।
HISTORY. . Eraminer.-W. GRAPEL, M. A. 1. Give the division of the Athenians into tribes, together with the sub-division of these for different purposes, state also the number, with the general and special names of the Officers who from 683 B. C. were appointed to the chief rule in Athens.
2. Describe with dates, the life, character, and fate of Miltiades. 3. “The great Emathian Conqueror did spare
“The house of Pindarus, when temple and tower
"Went to the ground." State the cause of the massacre alluded to; the year of its occurrence; and the mode whereby the Conqueror's wrath was finally appeased.
. 4. Give an account of the battle of Arginusæ, and state fully the sad events to which it led.
5. Set forth at length the constitutional changes introduced by Tarquinius Priscus, and by Servius Tullius.
6. What was the origin, what the course, and what were the results of the first Samnite War?
7. Into what five periods does Schmitz divide the second Punic War?
8. State what you can of the History and character of Herod, Son of Antipater; of Herod Antipas; and of Herod Agrippa.
9. Give such arguments, original or otherwise, as occur to you in support of the following operation :
“The validity of Evidence in proof of remote facts “is not affected, either for the better or worse, by the "weight of the consequences that may happen to “ depend upon them.”
Examiner.--W.L. HEELEY, B. A. 1. Give a short sketch of the theology of the Buddhists. When is Sakya supposed to have lived ? What are the dates of the eras Vikramaditya and Salivahana ?
2. Describe Akbar's Revenue system.
4. Give a sketch map of the Rajpoot States, and explain their condition at the time of the accession of Akbar.
5. Describe the system of Hindoo village communities, what are potails, patwaris, mirasidars, and paikasht ryots? In whom was vested the actual proprietorship of the soil ?
6. Who were Nur Jehan, Rega Jai Singh, Guru Govind, Ragojee, and Bussy?