« ПредыдущаяПродолжить »
Ave, Maria, &c.
Hail, Mary, &c. III. ¥. Et Verbum caro III. And the Word was factum est.
made flesh. R. Et habitavit in nobis.
Ry. And dwelt among us. Ave, Maria, &c.
Hail, Mary, &e. Gratiam tuam, quæsu- Pour forth, we beseech mus, Domine, mentibus thee, O Lord, thy grace innostris insunde; ut qui, an- to our hearts; that we, to gelo nuntiante, Christi filii whom the incarnation of tui incarnationem cogno- Christ thy Son was made vimus, per passionem ejus known by the message of et crucem ad resurrectionis an angel, may, by his pasgloriam perducamur; per sion and cross, be brought eumdem Christum Domi- to the glory of his resurrecnum nostrum. Amen. tion; through the same
Christ our Lord. Amen.
In the naine of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen.
Blessed be the holy and undivided Trinity now and for ever.
Amen. Come, O Holy Ghost, fill the hearts of thy faithful, and kindle in them the fire of thy love.
Send forth thy Spirit, and they shall be created, and thou shalt renew the face of the earth. Our Father. Hail Mary. I believe.
1. Place yourself in the presence of God. O almighty and eternal God, whose majesty filleth heaven and earth, I firmly believe that thou art here present; that thy all-seeing eye is upon me; that thou knowest all things, and art most intimately present in the very centre of my soul. I desire to bow down all the powers of my soul to adore thee; I desire to join
my voice with all thy blessed angels and saints, to praise thee and glorify thee now and for ever.
2. Give Thanks. I most heartily thank thee, O Lord, for all thy mer. cies and blessings bestowed upon me and upon thy whole Church; and particularly for those I have received from thee this day, in watching over me, and preserving me from so many evils, and favouring me with so many graces and inspirations, &c. (Here pause, and meditate on God's mercies.] Oh, let me never more be ungrateful unto thee, my God, who art so good and gracious unto
3. Ask for Light to discover your Sins. And now, dear Lord, add this one blessing to the rest; that I may clearly discover the sins which I have committed this day, by thought, word, and deed, or by any omission of any part of my duty to thee, to my neighbour, or to myself; that no part of my guilt may be hidden from my own eyes, but that I may see my sins in their true colour, and may detest them as I ought.
4. Daily Examination Examine your conscience, and consider where and in what com
pany you have been this day. Call to mind the sins cominitted against God, your neighbour, or yourself; and reflect whether you have fulfilled the duties of your state of life.
Against GOD.-By omission or negligence in the discharge of our religious duties ; irreverence, wilful distractions, or inattention in prayer; resistance to the divine grace; oaths ; murmurings; want of confidence and resignation. [Pause and examine.]
AGAINST OUR NEIGHBOUR.-By rash judgments; hatred ; jealousy; contempt ; desire of revenge; quarrelling ; passion; imprecations; injuries; detraction; raillery; false reports ; damaging, either in goods or reputation ; bad example ; scandal; want of obedience, respect, charity, or fidelity. [Pause and examine.]
AGAINST OURSELVES.-By vanity; human respect; lies ; thoughts, desires, discourses, or actions contrary to purity; by intemperance, rage, or impatience; by an useless and sensual life; or by sloth, in not complying with the duties of our state. (Pause and examine.]
5. Ato Act of Contrition. O Father of mercies! who desirest not the death of sinners ; look upon me, a miserable sinner, according to the multitude of thy mercies. I acknowledge and confess, and am heartily sorry for, all the sins of my past life, and of this day in particular. I cast myself at thy feet, and beseech thee to cover all my sins with that infinite love with which thou hast loved us from all eternity. I grieve from the bottom of my heart that I have been so ungrateful to thee for thy benefits, and have so often offended thee, my God and my chief good. Spare me, I beseech thee, by the death and love of Jesus Christ thy Son; and mercifully forgive me whatsoever sins I have this day, or heretofore, committed against thee, my neighbour, or myself. Here you may say the Miserere, p. 132, or any other act of
6. A Resolution of Amendment. O Almighty God! I firmly resolve, here in thy presence, and before the whole company of heaven, to live henceforth more exactly in conformity to thy will, and to the rule of thy commandments. I resolve to keep a more strict watch over myself; to correct my evil habits; to attend more diligently to my duties; to avoid more carefully all sin, and whatever may lead to it.
But without thy assistance, O Lord, there is no strength in man. Thou, therefore, who makest me to will that which is good, give me also the power to per
form it. Grant that I may live soberly, righteously, and piously in this world, and praise thee for ever with thy saints in the world to come. Despise not, O Lord, my petitions, for thine infinite mercies' sake, but accept this my evening sacrifice, and let it ascend as incense in thy sight.
And you, my holy patrons, pray for me. Thou first, O holy Virgin, mother of my God; thou too, my angel guardian; and ye, my chosen patrons, N. and N., and all ye heavenly citizens, angels, and saints, who praise God unceasingly, even while we sleep; take me under your protection, and commend me to God; that I may be protected from all the snares of our enemies, who are ever ready to hurt us while we sleep.
7. Intercession. O Lord God, grant us an increase of faith, hope, and charity. Root out from among us all sin anå vice, infidelity, dissensions, and erroneous opinions. Reprove the wandering ; correct the unbelieving: shew to all in schism the light of thy grace, and restore them to the unity of thy Church. Preserve the pastors and rulers of thy Church, and all kings, princes, and rulers in the same, from all adversities, both of mind and bods. Give to all sinners true repentance. Preserve the just in righteousness; establish all their thoughts, words, and works for good. Confirm all who are dedicated to thy name in their holy resolutions. Have mercy upon all, O Lord. Give food to those who labour ; comfort those who are oppressed with sorrow; supply the necessities of the needy; heal the sick; support the dying.
Forgive all wlio have sinned with me, or whom I have led into sin. Repay a hundred-fold with good all whoin I have injured, offended, or scandalised. Direct in the way of salvation all my relations and friends; all who pray for me, all who have commended themselves to my prayers, all who think kindly of me. Hear them, o Lord, when they cry unto thee in any tribulation. Be.
stow perpetual charity both on us and on our enemies. May we all be filled with patience, kindness, and mercifulness. May envy, hatred, and all bitterness, be put away. Have mercy, also, O merciful Father, on all who sleep in Christ, especially on [
-], and those with whom I have been familiarly acquainted. Eternal rest give to them, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon them.
O eternal Father, I beseech thee, by the life and death of thy beloved Son, and by the bowels of thy mercies, grant that I may persevere unto the end in good works, and die in thy grace.
good Jesus, I beseech thee, by the love of the eternal Father, and by the last words with which thou didst commend thy spirit to him upon the cross, receive my soul at my last hour.
O IIoly Spirit, have mercy on me, and by thy holy inspiration strengthen me always, but especially at the hour of my death.
O most holy Trinity, one God, have mercy on me now and at the hour of my death. Amen.
On going into Bed. In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ crucified, I lay me down to rest; may he bless, govern, and preserye me, and bring me to everlasting life. Amen.
Composing yourself to Sleep. Into thy hands, O Lord, I commend my spirit, for thou hast redeemed me, O Lord God of truth. I will sleep in peace, and take my rest.
A SECOND FORM OF EVENING PRAYER, In the name of the Father, &c. Blessed be the holy and undivided, &c. Our Father. Hail Mary. I believe. O eternal, infinite, and almighty God, whose glory