Изображения страниц

At my suggestion, the Captain ordered the foremast to be cut away, which was done about 6 o'clock.

From 4 o'clock till 8 the water was kept at bay. An attempt was made to raise steam in the donkey boiler. Berths were torn out and thrown into the furnace to raise the steam to start the pumps, but all to no avail. The cause I could not learn. A drag was prepared, but failed, and the ship continued in the trough of the sea. Bailing still went on vigorously, and was kept up all night by gangs who were exchanged aa often as they became exhausted. Towards morning the men were beginning to fail and the water increase and grow up in the hold of the ship. At 4 o'clock on the morning of Saturday, the 12th; the gale abated, with a heavy sea running. They were encouraged by mjself and others, with the assurance that the ship would hold out. Every passenger remained cool, and seemed to forget his danger in the united efforts to save the vessel. There was no weeping or exhibition of despair, even on the part of the females. At 8 o'clock another attempt was made to raise steam in the donkey boiler, to pump the ship, but without avail. Some one proposed to box the pumps, but, on inquiry, no carpenter or tools could be found, and the water gained rapidly. The lee shaft was shrouded in heavy blankets to stop the leak, but the water burst through. At 2 o'clock on Saturday a sail was reported to windward, and at 3j o'clock she came under the stern. Boats were immediately lowered, but two were stove instantly by the sea. Three boats still remained, one in a bad condition. At 4 o'clock the work of removing the ladies and children to the deck of the Marine was commenced. The brig, being much lighter than the ship, had by this time drifted away to leeward. The distance was considerable, and the boats were long in making the trips, and there being a heavy sea but few could be carried at a time. After sending the ladies and children, the engineer and some fifteen others were embarked on the brig. By this time it was dark. The work of bailing was still kept on, but the water gained faster and faster upon the vessel. As the boats successively approached the ship a simultaneous rush was made by the passengers to get aboard, and it was apprehended that the boats would be filled and stove; it was now dark; about two hours before the sinking of the ship, a schooner ran down under her stern, but could not render her any assistance for want of boats. The work of bailing went on until within an hour of her going down. Two lights of the above vessel were seen far to leeward. Rockets were fired from the wheel, but went downward. The immediate sinking of the ship followed. Captain Herndon remained on the wheel up to the moment of her going down, which was 8 o'clock on Saturday night. I was

standing on the quarter-deck. Some jumped over and put off from the now rapidly descending ship, and seized on whatever they could. No one shrieked or cried, but all stood calm. The Captain behaved nobly, and said he would not leave the ship. I promised him I would remain with him, as also did the second officer, Mr. Frazer. All at once the ship, as if in the agony of death herself, made a plunge at an augle of 45 degrees, and, with a shriek from the engulfed mass, disappeared, and five hundred human beings floated out on the bosom of the ocean with no hope but death. At 1$ o'clock in the morning the Norwegian bark Ellen came running down with a free wind. The cries of distress reached tbpse on deck, and they hove to under short sail. The task of rescuing the passengers was nobly commenced, and by 9 o'clock the next morning forty-nine had been picked up. Diligent search was made until 12 o'clock, but no more could be seen. They then bore away for Norfolk with a fair wind, and arrived at Cape Henry on the 17th, where myself and four others embarked in the pilot-boat and arrived in Norfolk.

Among those who were rescued by the brig Ellen were two young men named Casey. They are twin brothers, and bear a very close resemblance to one another. They were originally from Sebastian county, Arkansas, and have been in California for some years. When the passengers were called upon to commence bailing they fell into the line, and both continued to assist until a quarter of an hour previous to the vessel's sinking. When they left the cabin they went on the hurricane deck and made preparations to meet their fate. They stood together near the hurricane deck within a few feet of Lieut. Herndon, who still continued calm and self-possessed in his actions. But a minute before the vessel sauk one of the brothers saw him, and he was still without any apparent excitement. As the ship gave her last lurch, the brothers were standing by one another. In a moment they were engulfed in the vortex of the waters, amid the din of the death cries of hundreds of despairing beings, the cracking of timbers, and the violent rushing of the waters as the seas surged together over the sunken steamer. When they arose to the surface they were far apart. One, feeling a plank within his reach, grasped it, and at once swam with it from among the scores of beings which were surrounding him, knowing, with the instinct of selfpreservation, that to get clear with it constituted his only hope of safety, and, as he left them, he heard the cries of the drowning men, each struggling with the other ki their efforts to seize the few fragments of the wreck which were floating about, that they might perchance be saved. By the aid of this plank he swam for several hours, till about 2 o'clock in the morning, when, discovering the brig Ellen, he hailed her, and, their course passing near where he was, they heard his cry, threw him a rope, and he was drawn upon deck.

His brother, on coming to the surface, swam to one of the hatchways. He was hardly seated on it before two others joined him, and in a minute three more had also reached it, and the six held it with the tenacity of despair to buoy them up. Three of these, however, became exhausted after being in the water for several hours, and fell off and drowned. The others retained their hold until about 7 o'clock on Sunday morning. They were then discovered by the Ellen and taken on board, the brothers learning for the first time of each others' safety.

It is stated by many of the survivors of the Central America's passengers, that there was seldom so large an amount of money owned by passengers as in the caso of those who came by the Central America. Many were persons of large means, and there were but very few whose immediate wealth did not amount to hundreds, while some reckoned their gold by the thousands of dollars. The greater portion of the passengers were returned miners, some coming hither to invest the capital they had realized, in hopes to live a life of greater ease as the result of their industry, and others to get their families and once more go to the land of gold. But as the storm continued to rage, less and less of gold was thought of, and when, on Saturday, it became evident that they were likely at any moment to be buried beneath the waves, wealthy men divested themselves of their treasure belts and scattered the gold upon the cabin floors, telling those to take it who would, lest its weight— a few ounces or pounds—might carry them to their death. Full- purses, containing in some instances $2,000, were laying untouched ou sofas. Carpet-bags were opened by men, and the shining metal was poured out on the floor with the prodigality of death's despair. One of the passengers, who has fortunately been rescued, opened a bag and dashed out about the cabin $20,000 in gold dust, and told him who wanted to gratify his greed for gold to take it. Hut it was passed by untouched as the veriest dross. A few hours before he would have struck down the man who would have attempted to take a urain of that which he now spurned from him.


Mrs. Isaao McKim Bowley, with two young children, was bound for New York from California. Her husband, who was not on board, had come to this city two or three months previous, where she was to rejoin him. Her children are Charles M.,(iged two years, and Isabella, aged one. In narrating her story to one of our reporters, she said:

We had rough weather for some time, and

then we were obliged to pump the ship, and to use every effort to save our lives. For two days and nights we were in continual fear of the sinking of the vessel. Our only comfort was that we knew the men were making every exertion in their power. They worked like horses. I never saw men work so in my life. When the extent of the danger first became known among the ladies, we were very much frightened, though none of us became at all frantic. There was great fear, but no panic. We knew that every man on the ship was at his post and doing his duty, and the captain told us that if they would work manfully the ship would be saved. He said, however, that if they did not work, there would be no hopes of saving either the vessel or their lives. Captain Herndon behaved nobly. He deserves all praise. Poor fellow! I am sorry that he is not alive to receive his reward.

It was about 10 o'clock on Saturday morning when we saw the brig that rescued us. When she came in sight, and we knew that she was going to stay by us, we all thought that we would be saved. It cheered our spirits greatly, and it encouraged the men also.' The captain came down and told us that the ladies would be saved first. But the sea ran so high that the brig could not approach us with safety, and we wore still kept in peril and suspense.

The men continued at their work, but it was excessively wearisome, and it gradually wore them out. When the ladies found that the meu could not hold out much longer, some of them proposed to work themselves at the pumps. But they were not suffered to do this. The men took fresh courage and stayed at their posts, and did their duty bravely, even when they were long past being fit for it.

The ladies were in no worse spirits towards the end than they were at the beginning of the danger. In fact, wc all appeared to grow more calm and resigned. Those that had no little children to take care of, and to be anxious for, were quite as brave and hopeful as the men. But as for myself, I must confess that, being sick and weak, and with these two helpless little ones clinging to me, I became somewhat discouraged and disheartened. A few of the ladies showed no signs of fear and kept up to the last. It was wonderful to see their composure. In fact, it was wonderful that we were not all frantic.

We were all weak and reduced, from having nothing to eat of any consequence, for two days before the ship went down. There was no fire to cook anything, and there was no chance to get any hearty, sustaining food. We hardly had water to drink. Some of the men, at work, became so exhausted that they dropped down in their places as if they were dead.

After the brig came nearer, and a boat had been launched, Captain Herndon sent word to Captain Burt, "I have five hundred souls on board, and a million and a half treasure; and want you to stand by us, to the very last possible moment." Capt. Burt sent back word that he would stay by the wreck until Capt. Herndon should put up a flag as a signal that nothing more could be done.

In transferring the ladies from the steamer to the brig, it was my lot to go with the third boat. The sea was very violent, and the prospect of outriding it in such a little frail craft was terrible. Before going off I put on a lifepreserver, which was the only preparation I could make for my escape, but neither the lifeboat nor the life-preserver seemed like safety; for it is impossible to describe the roughness of the waves, and the brig was a great way off.

The rope-noose was tied around me, and was swung out over the water into the boat. The life-boat could not come close to the side of the steamer, and we all had to take our chance to jump at it. Some of the ladies, in leaping, fell into the water and some into tho boat. But they were either hauled up again by the ropenoose, which was still around them, or tbcy were caught by the sailors that manned the boats, and pulled in over the sides.

Some of the ladies fell two or three times into the sea before they could be got into the boat. One of them, the stewardess, fell in three times, and once was pinched between the boat and the side of steamer. A heavy wave dashed the boat against the ship, and struck the poor woman a severe blow. This, however, occurred not in getting from the steamer into the life-boat, but in getting out of the life-boat into the brig.

After 1 got safely into the little boat, and my babes with me, I had but little hope of getting to the brig. The peril then seemed to be greater than ever; but, as the ship was in a sinking condition, the only hope seemed to be in attempting even this dangerous escape from her. The water dashed into the boat, and we had to keep dipping it out all the time. Two high "waves passed entirely over us, so that it seemed as if we were swamped and sunk; but the boat recovered from them both. The men rowed bravely, for their own lives as well as ours were at stake. The commander of this boat was the mate of the brig, and he encouraged the sailors to keep every nerve steady, and told them that it would require the exercise of all their skill and courage to reach the brig in safety.

It was fully two hours and a half before we got to the Marine, and then we took our chance of getting on board. The boat was tossed about so violently that the only way of getting out of her was to watch a fortunate opportunity and seize hold of the brig's rigging and ropes on the side. I canght hold with one hand and hung for some minutes over the vessel's side, till the

men on deck caught hold of me and pulled me in.

All the women and children were saved in this manner. It seems almost miraculous, but not one was lost, not even a single child.

We were very kindly received, and very generously treated on board the brig. The captain, who opened his whole heart to us, gave us every conceivable thing which could conduce to our comfort, and which was in his power to give. But the stores of the brig were scanty in the first place, and in the next place they had to be divided among a great many extra persons. We were three days on allowance. There were not enough of provisions even to do anything more than just keep us from starving; and yet the captain shared them with us. I did not eat anything for nearly three days, but kept my iittle allowance to feed my children with. If they had not had the food, they must have died. We all suffered intensely on the brig, but this one thing we shall all recollect, in connection with our trials—that there cannot be a better man than Capt. Burt. Capt. Herndon and Capt. Burt proved themselves both to be noble men. Capt. McGown of the Empire City has also shown us every kindness in his power. Capt. Herndon is now past praise, but I want to say of the captain of the brig that he deserves to be rewarded; for he robbed himself, even of his own clothes and blankets, and parted with everything which he had for our sakes.


The Winchester bushel, which is the one in use in the United States, is 8 inches high and 18i inches diameter, and contains 2,150.42 cubic inches, struck measure; heaped measure it contains 2,815 cnbic inches.

A ton of wine is 252 gallons.

A Scotch pint contains 105 cubic inches, and is equal to 4 English pints.

One hundred and forty-four pounds Avoirdupois are equal to 175 Troy.

A chaldron of coal is 5Bi cubic feet—30 bushels.

Anthracite coal weighs 80 pounds to the bushel, which makes 2,880 to the ton.

A commercial bale of cotton is 400 pounds, but those put up in the different States vary from 280 to 720 pounds.

A bale of hay is 300 pounds.

A cord of wood 128 feet, in tho United States; in France 576 feet.

A perch of stone is 24.75 cubic feet; if in the wall 22 cubic feet.

A bushel of limestone weighs 140 pounds; after it is burned, 75 pounds, showing that 65 pounds have passed off as carbonic acid and water. It is said this will absorb 20 pounds of water.

One hundred cubic feet of hay, in solid mow will make a ton.

To find the number of bushels in a bin :— Multiply the length, breadth and thickness in inches together, and divide by 2,150,42 and it will give the number of bushels, struck measure.

A stone is 14 pounds.

Scripture Measure.—A " Sabbath day's journey, is 1,155 yards—two thirds of a mile. A day's journey 35 J miles.

A palm, 3 inches.

A Greek foot is 22j inches.

A cubit 18 inches.

A great cubit 11 feet.


M. Salles, arquebusier to the Emperor Napoleon, has invented a post office automaton, which takes up every letter thrown in the box, places it under the stamp, where it receives the postmark and date, and throws ii out again for delivery to its destination. The General Post Office has made a trial of the invention, which has turned out satisfactorily, and it is now in treaty with M. Sailes for machines to be furnished to all the principal post offices throughout France.

PHILADELPHIA MARKETS^ Floite Ai»d Meal.—The Flour market is very dull. Holders are offering standard brands at $5 SO a $5 75. Sales to retailers and bakers, for fresh ground at $54 a $6i per bbl. and fancy brands, from $6} up to $81. "Rye Flour is now selling at $4 37 per bbl., and Corn Meal is held at $4 per barrel,

Grain.—The receipts of Wheat have fallen oft", but there is very little demand for it. Good red is held at $1 25 a $1 35, and $1 35 a $1 45 for good white; only a few samples were offered. Rye is held at 75 cts. Corn is scarce, with small sales of j ellow at 78 c. Oats are in fair supply. New Delaware are selling at 34 a 35 cents, and Penna. at 37 a 38 cents per bushel.

and tri-weekly from the former place. The winter
term will commence on the 2d of 11th mo. next, and
continue twenty weeks. The course of instruction
embraces all the usual branches, comprising a thorough
English Education, Drawing included. Terms: $57,
including Board, Washing, Tuition, use of Books,
Pens, Ink and Lights. The French, Latin and Greek
Languages taught at $5 each, extra, by experienced
and competent teachers, one a native of New Hamp-
shire, and a graduate of a popular College in that
State, whose qualifications have gained her a place
amongst the highest rank of teachers. The house is
lari;e, and in every way calculated to secure health
and comfort to thirty-five or forty pupils.
For Circulars, address—

Union-Ville, P. O., Chester County, Pa.
9th mo. 5th, 1857.—8 t.

L~ ONDON GROVE BOARDING SCHOOL FOR YOUNG MEN AND BOYS. It is intended to commence the next Session of this Institution on the j 2d of 11th mo., 1857. Terms: $65 for twenty weeks, i For reference and further particulars, inquire for cir; culars of BF.NJ. 8WAYNE, Principal. London Grove, P. P., Chester County, Pa.

"L'LDRIDGE HILL BOARDING SCHOOL.—The Vi Winter se.ssion (for the education of young men and boys) of this Institution, will open on the 9th of 11th mo., and continue 20 weeks.

The branches of a liberal English education are thoroughly taught by the most approved methods of teaching founded on experience.

Also the elements of the Latin and French languages.
Terms, $70 per session.

Those wishing to enter will please make early application.

For full particulars address the Principal for a circular.


Eldridge Hill, Salem County N. J. 8 mo. 29, 1857—8 w.

CCHESTERFIELD BOARDING SCHOOL FOR I YOUNG MEN AND BOYS—The Winter session of this Institution will commence on the 16th of 11th month 1857, and continue twenty weeks.

Tkkms—$70 per session, one half payable in advance, the other in the middle of the session.

No extra charges. For further information address HENRY W. RIDGWAY, Crosswicks P. O., Burlington Co., N. J. 10th mo. 3—3 m.

G\ WVNEDD BOARDING SCHOOL FOR YOUNG r MEN AND BOYS.—The next winter session of This School will commence on 2d day the 9th of 11th month, 1857, and continue Twenty weeks. Terms $70 per session. Those desirous ol entering will please make early application. For circulars giving further information, address either of the undersigned.

DANIEL FOULKE, Principal. HUGH FOULKE, Jr., Teacher. Spring House P. O. Montgomery County, Fa. 8 mo. 22, 1857—8 w.

BOARDING SCHOOL FOR GIRLS, near theChelton Hills Station, on the North Pennsylvania Railroad.

Gayner Heacock will open a school 12th mo. 7th, and continue 16 weeks, where the usual branches of an English education will be taught, and every attention paid to the health and comfort of the children.

Terms $40. No extra charges. Books furnished at the usual prices.


Jenkintown P. O., Montgomery Co., Penna.

9 mo. 26—8 t.

G~reen~tawn SEMINARY is situated near Union-Ville, Chester County, Pa., nine miles south west of West Chester, and sixteen north west from Wilmington; daily stages to and from the latter,

i'RANKFORD SELECT SEMINARY.—This Institution, having been in successful operation for the last twenty years, will now receive six or eight female pupils as boarders in the family. Age under thirteen years preferred.

Careful attention will be paid to health, morals,kt. and they will be required to attend Friends' Meeting on First days, accompanied by one of their teachers, also mid week meetings if desired by parents or guardians. Terms moderate.

SARAH C. WALKER Assistant.
No. 158 Frankford St. Frankford. Pa.
John Child, 510 Arch Street.
Thomas T. Child, 452 N. 2d Street below Poplar.
Julia Yerkes, 909 N. 4th Street above Poplar.
Wm. C. Murphy, 43 S. 4th Street above Chestnut.
Charles Murphy, 820 N. 12th Street below Parrish.

Merribew k Thompson, Pn..Lodge St., North side Ptnua. Bask




No. 30.


No. 324 South Fifth Street,


Every Seventh day at Two Dollars per annum, payable in advance. Three copies sent to one address for Five Dollars.

Communications must be addressed to the Publisher free of expense, to whom all payments are to be made

EXTRACTS FROM THE LIFE OF MARY DUDLEY. (Continued from page 435.)

Ninth month, 1792. While waiting to be summoned on ship-board, a sweet parting season crowned this visit, wherein a consoling hope was felt that through many infirmities the arm of the Lord had not only been near to sustain, but graciously strengthened for the work whereunto He had called, so that in renewed faith His great cause might be committed to His holy keeping; whilst the belief was satisfactorily revived, that these Islands would learn more and more to wait for His law, and trust in His Dame. He can gather without instrumental means, and complete His own work by the effectual operation of Almighty power. I felt a rest in this assurance beyond all that I can set forth, and some deep conflicts respecting these parts seemed, as it were, swallowed up in that ocean of love, which I verily believe will operate, until the knowledge of the Lord cover the earth, as the waters cover the sea. Under these precious feelings, praise renewedly waited as in the gates of Zion, for heavenly acceptance, and after getting on board the vessel so strong did the current of gospel solicitude continue to flow, that I was constrained to express a few words to a number of persons who were collected on the pier. Holy support was near through this exercise, and peace succeeded, for which pledge of divine acceptance what is too dear to part with t May all our imperfections and shoit comings be mercifully forgiven and every deficiency supplied, for the language is, I trust, deeply inscribed, 'to us belongeth confusion offace.'

"We were favored with a fine passage of less than twelve hours to Weymouth, a distance of twenty-four leagues, and having a fair wind all the way, were able to stay upon deck, and partake of the captain's provisions, feeling much better than I could have expected, though sick part of

the time. While on the water I was sensible of gospel love towards the inhabitants of Portland, and wished we could land there instead of at Weymouth; but I feared avowing so much lest the vessel might not safely anchor there, so said nothing until 7th day, when being about to proceed and looking over maps for a while, I told my companions I did not believe the line would he discovered there, at least for me, and acknowledged the prospect I had of this Island.

"After making some necessary arrangements we weut a mile and a half to the ferry, but not being able to procure any conveyance at the other side, had to walk a long way upon rough gravel. At length after E. Hatton had gone on to try for a cart for us, B. Rotch discovered one returning to Weymouth, and representing the poor woman as tired, and offering generous payment, we obtained possession, and found our friend E. H. at the fan sending off a conveyance to meet us. Sere we were kindly received, and found that Deborah Darby and Rebecca Young had held a meeting in a very large room in the house, on being put ashore there in going to Guernsey. •

"We appointed a meeting for eleven o'clock in the morning, finding the Methodists held theirs at nine, and it felt unpleasant to interfere with the hour of other professors. The Isle of Portland is divided into several little villages, our men friends gave notice in the one we passed through, and that we were then in, but I apprehend the intelligence reached further, as several came on horseback and many were in the house before the appointed hour.— The room though very large was not only filled, but t he stair case and adjoining chamber seemed crowded, and a solemn favored season it proved; one wherein the poor could be invited to partake of durable riches. The people are mostly of a laboring, industrious class, reckoned very honest, and diligent in attending their place of worship, which is the establishment; there has "been lately opened a Methodist meeting, and a rich man of that profession, named Brackenbury, has settled there with a view of benefitting the inhabitants in a religious sense: he was from home, but some of his family were at the meeting, and conversed freely with us afterwards; they appeared solid persons, and were very friendly. A steady looking man, a preacher, came after dinner, and invited us to this gentle

« ПредыдущаяПродолжить »