« ПредыдущаяПродолжить »
you with water unto repentance; but he that com. eth after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am 110t: worthy to bear : he shall baptize you with the holy Ghost, (1) and with Fire. Whose Fan is in his hand, and he will throughly purge his
26. John bare witness of him, and with the holy Ghost. + A&s 19. 4. cried, saying, This is he of whom Then faid Paul, John verily baptiI spake,' He that cometh after zed with the Baptism of Repentance, me, is preferred before me, for saying unto the People, that they he was before me. John an-s should believe on him that should swered them, saying, I baptize come after him, that is, on Chrift with water ; but there ftandeth one Jesus. among you, whom ye know not, 9 + Ifa. 4.4. When the Lord Joh. 7. 38, 39. He that believeth shall have washed away the filth of on me, as the Scripture hath faid, 10the Daughters of Zion, and shall out of his belly fall flow rivers of have purged the Blood of Jerusaliving Water. (But this spake he of lem from the midst thereof, by the the Spirit, which they that believe Spirit of Judgment, and the Spirit on him, thould receive : for the of Burning. + Mal. 3. 2. But who holy Ghost was not yet given, be-15may abide the Day of his coming ? cause that Jesus was not yet glori- and who shall stand when he apfied.) 'Isai. 44. 3. I will pour Wa. peareth? for he is like a refiner's ter on him that is thirsty, and fire, and like fullers sope. Gal 4 foods upon the dry Ground: I will 6. Because ye are Sons, God hath pour my Spirit upon thy Seed, and 20 sent forth the spirit of his son into my blessing upon thine Offspring your Hearts, crying Abba, Father. + Acts 1.5. John truly baptized Tit. 3.5. According to his Merwith water; but ye shall be bapti. cy he faved us, by the washing of zed with the holy Ghost_not many regeneration, and renewing of the Days hence. Acts 2. 4. They werezsholy Ghoft. all filled with the holy Ghost, and be.
í .: Luk. 3. 57. gan to speak with other Tongues as And he shall fit as a refiner of Silche Spirit gave them utterance, ver : and he shall purifie the Sons
Acts 11. 16. Then remembered I of Levi, and purge them as Gold and the Word of the Lord, how that hezo Silver, that they may offer unto the said, John indeed baptized with Lord an offering in Righteousness. Water : but ye fliall be baptized
(1) The Word and does not always join Sentences together, but is sometimes used as an explicative, and denotes that the Words after ic explain those that are before it. So that the Sense of this place seems to be , He shall baptize you with the holy Ghoft, which is like Fire. As Fire refines Metals, and enlightens the place where it is; so the holy Spirit enlightens the Minds of Men, and purges and cleanses their Souls. Or the Baptist may allude to that extraordinary Effusion of the holy Ghost which was to fall on the Apostles on the Day of Pentecost, whose appearance was like unto Fire, A&t. 2. 3. And that Baptism with the holy Ghost and with Fire signifie one and the same thing, is manifest, because when our Lord discoursed on this Subject with Nicodemus, Joh. 3. 5. He mentions the being born of Water and of the Spirit, but says na. thing of Fire.
Mal. 3. 3:
n'floor, and ' gather his wheat into the garner :
but he , will bu n up the chaff with unquenchable
Fire. 13. Then cometh Jesus u from Year of our Galilee to Jordan unto John, to be baptized of him.
14. But John (2) forbad him, laying, I have need to be baptized of thee, and comest thou to me? 15. And Jesus answering, said unto him, Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becometh us to fulil all righteousness. Then he suffered him. 16. And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the Water: And lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw
the Spirit of God descending like a Dove, and lighting upon him. 17. And o lo, a voice from heaven, faying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well-pleased.
C H A P. Job.2 1.18. They are as Stubble from Heaven, which faid, Thou art before the wind, and as chaff
' that my beloved Son, in thee I am wellthe Storm carrieth away.
pleased. Joh. 1. 32, 33. And John ** Max1.9: It came to pass bare record, saying, I saw the spirit in those Days, that Jefus came from s descending from Heaven like a Nazareth of Galilee, and was bapo Dove, and it'abode upon him. And tized of John in Jordán. * Luk. 3. I knew him not, but he that fent 21. Now when all the People were me to baptize with Water, the baptized, it came to pass that Jesus same faid unto me, Upon whom also being baprized, and praying, rothou shalt see the spirit descending the heaven was opened.
and remaining on him, the same is * + Matt. 2. 22.
he which baptizeth with the holy Isa. 11. 2. And the Spirit Ghost. of the Lord thall rest upon him, the bt Joh. 12. 28. Father, gloriSpirit of Wisdom and Understand-15fie thy name. Then came there a ing, the Spirit of Counsel and Voice from heaven, saying, I have Might, the Spirit of Knowledge, both glorified it, and will glorifie and of the fear of the Lord. t. Ifa. it again. 42. 1. Behold my Servant whom I + Pl. 2.7. I will declare the uphold, mine eléct in whom myzodecree: the Lord hath said unto Soul delightech: I have put my me, Thou art my Son, this Day have Spirit upon him, he shall bring. I begotten thee. f Isa. 42. 1. The forth Judgment to the Gentiles. Words are under ver.16. + Matt. 12: Luk. 3. 23. And the holy Ghol de- 18. Behold, my Servant whom I scended in a bodily shape like aislave chosen, my beloved in whom Dove upon him, and a voice came
my (2) These Words imply that St. John knew who our Lord was when he
came to him. It may therefore be asked, How is this consistent with his faying, Joh. 1. 31. that he knew him nor? To this it is answered, that he knew him not personally, having never conversed with him; but that being a Propher, and full of the holy Ghost even from his Mocher's womb, Luk. 1.'1's. it wis revealed to him who he was, at the time our Lord came to be baptized of him.
T to of Devil.
С НА Р. IV.
Wilderness to be
my Soul is well pleased: I will Master: left peradventure the spi-
is my beloved Son, hear me upon a very bigb Mountain, by
a * Mar. 1. 12. And immedi-20° * Deut. 8. 3. Man doth ately the Spirit driveth him into not live by Bread only, but by evethe Wilderness. * Luk. 4. 1. Jesus ry word that proceedeth out of being full of the holy Ghost, was the mouth of the Lord doth Man led by the Spirit into the Wilder. live. Wisd. 16. 26. That thy ness.
25 Children, O Lord, whom thou lovi King. 18. 12. It shall est, might know that it is nor the come to pals, as soon as I am growing of Fruits that nourisheth gone from chee, that the Spirit of Man: but that it is thy Word the Lord thall carry thee whither I which preserveth them that put know not. - 2 King. 2. 16.-Letzotheir truft in thee. them go we pray thee and seek thy
(1) Exod. 34. 28. Deut. 9. 9, 18. 1 King. 19. 8. Moses and Elijah fasted forty Days and forty Nights.
(2) The Sense of these Words, according to the learned Surenhæfius in his excellent Work, wherein he, accounts for the Difficulties in the Texts cited in the New Testament out of the Old, is this: Although I am very hungry, yet it is better to obey God, and to trust in his Word,
Bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the Mouth of God. 5. Then the Devil taketh him up into the holy City, and setteth him on a pinnacle of the Temple. 6. And faith unto him, If thou be the Son of God, cast thy self down: for it is written, He shal! give his f Angels charge concerning thee, and in their hands they fhall
bear thee up, left at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone. Jesus said unto him, It is written again, Thou shalt not ő tempt the Lord thy God. 8. Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and theweth him all the Kingdoms of the World, and the glory of them: 9. And faith unto him, All these things wilf I give thee, if thou wilt fall down and worship me. 10. Then faith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt h worfhip the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve. 11. Then the devil leaveth him, and behold, Angels came and ministred unto him.
Year of our when “ Jesus had heard that John was * cast
30, 3k. [Or, delivered up] into Prison, he departed into Galilee. 13. And leaving Nazareth, he came and dwelt
+ Neh. 11.18. All the Levites in ferve, and to him shalt thou cleave, the boly Çity were two hundred and swear by his Name. t Sam. fourscore and four. + Ifa. .48. 2. 73. -- Prepare your Hearts unto For they call themselves of the holy the Lord, and serve him only. City. + Mat. 27. 53
i See on Matt. 18. 10. into the boly City.
Now after that Pf. 91. 11. For he shall John was put in Prison, Jesus came give his Angels charge over thee, to into Galilee, preaching the Gospel keepthee in all thy ways.
of the Kingdom of God. Luk. 3 * Deut. 6. 16. Ye shall not 3. 19, 20. But Herod che tetrarch, tempt the Lord your God, as yerobeing reproved by him for Hero. tempted him in Massah.
dias his brother Philip's Wife, and * Deut. 6. 13.
: Thou shalt for all the Evils which Herod had fear the Lord thy God, and serve done, added yet this above all, him, and salt twear by his Name.15that he shut up John in Prison * Luk. * Deut. 10. 20. Thou shalt fear the 4.14, 31. And Jesus returned in Lord thy God, him thalt thou
the than to hearken to any other Spirit whatsoever ; because God can preserve the Life of Man by other means than Bread, namely, by his most powerful and efficacious Word, by which he created all things at first, and has hitherto preserved them, and by which eternal Life will be conferred on him who believes God to be a Rewarder of those who depená oni him. If therefore I shall obey his Word, tho' I have not Bread, yet I shall not want Food. And this our Lord proves by the Word of God; which cannor deceive,
in Capernaum, which is upon the Sea Coast; in the borders o Zabulon and Nepthalim : 14. That it might be fulfil led which was spoken by Efaias the prophet, laying 15. The Land of Zabulon, and the Land of Nep thalim; by the way of the Sea beyond Jordan, Gali.ee o the Gentiles: 16. The people which fat in darkness daw great lights: and to them which fat in the regio and Thadow of death, light is sprung up. that time Jefus began to preach, and to lay; * Repent
the Power of the Spirit into Gali- but finners to repent ance. In Mar lee : - And came down to Caper. 2. 17. and Luk. 5. 32. are almof naum a City of Galilee, and taught the same Words. Mar. 6. 12. They them on the Sabbath Days. Joh. went out and preached that Mer 4:43. Now after two Days he de- s should repent. Mar. 1. !5. The parted thence, and went into Ga- time is fulfilled, and the kingdom lilee.
of God is at hand: repent ye, anc * Ifai. 9. 1, 2. -When át believe the Gospel. Luk. 3.8 the first he lightly afflicted the 1o Bring forth therefore fruits worth Land of Zabulon, and the Land of of repentance. Luk. 11. 32. Mat Napthali, and afterward did more I 2. 41. The Men of Nineveh fhal grievously
, affiet her by the way of rise up in the Judgment with thi: the Sea, beyond Jordan Galilee of generation, and shall condemn it the Nations. The People that walk- for they repented at the preaching of ed in darkness, have seen a great 15 Jonas; and behold, a greater than Light: They that dwell in the Jonas is here. Job 42. 6. I abhos Land of the thadow of Death, up my self, and repent in Duft and on them hath the Light thined. Ashes. Luk. 13. 3 Except ye re.
Mar 1. 14. The Words a. pent, ye shall all likewise perish. bove, ver. 12.
20Luk is. 7. -Joy shall be in hea. 1 King. 8. 47, 48, 49. If they ven over one finner that repent eth shall bethink themselves, and re- Luk. 24. 47. That Repentance and pent, and make Supplication unto remission of Sins should be preachthee, -laying, we have finned and ed in his name among all nations. have done perverfly, we have.com-25A&ts 2. 38. Repent and be baptized mitted wickedness; and fo return every one of you in the name of Je. unto thee with all their Heart, and sus Christ for the remission of fins.with all their Soul. -Then hear A&s 3. 19. Repent ye therefore and thou their Prayer. Ezek. 18. 30, be converted, that your fins may 31. Repent and turn your felves fromzobe blotced out.
Acts 17. 3o; al your transgressions; so iniquity The times of this ignorance God shall not be your ruine Cast away from winked at ; but now commandesh gou all your transgressions, where all Men every where to repent. by ye have tranfgreffed, and make Acts 26. 20. That they [Jews and you a new Heart and a new Spi-35 Gentiles) should repent and turn to rit. - Mar. 3. 2, 8. Repent ye: God,and do works meer for repentfor the kingdom of Heaven is at Acts 21. Testifying hand: Bring forth therefore fruits both to the Jews, and also to the meet for repentance. Mart 9.13.-I Greeks, repentance toward God, am not come to call the righteous,