« ПредыдущаяПродолжить »
IS RESPECTFULLY DEDICATED TO THE
OFFICERS AND MEMBERS OF
THE AMERICAN TEMPERANCE SOCIETIES,
WHOSE UNPARALLELED EXERTIONS
CAUSE OF MORALS AND RELIGION,
AND WHOSE EFFORTS TO EXTERMINATE
MOST FRUITFUL SOURCE OF HUMAN MISERY,
THE USE OF INTOXICATING LIQUORS,
WILL EVER ENSURE THEM
THE GRATEFUL AFFECTIONS OF MANKIND,
REGARD AND ADMIRATION
THE NEW BRITISH AND FOREIGN TEMPERANCE
The Committee of the above Society give notice, that they have come to a resolution to offer a Premium of One Hundred Sovereigns for the best Essay on the Benefits of Total Abstinence from all Intoxicating Drinks
1. The Essay must be written in a Christian spirit, and with a design to benefit the bodies, circumstances, and souls of men.
2. The proposed Essay will contain the origin, progress, and consequences of the customs of drinking and drunkenness, both from sacred and profane history.
3. It will comprise the medical opinions of the faculty, ancient and modern; with the sentiments of magistrates, judges, and the most eminent literary, scientific, and theological writers.
4. It will produce Scripture testimony, that, although the use of wine is not prohibited, except in certain cases and under certain circumstances, Total Abstinence from all intoxicating drinks is encouraged.
5. It will contain statistical accounts of the evil effects of drinking customs on the habits, wealth, morals, and religious feelings of the community; embracing the experience of other nations on these topics.
6. It will contain details of committals, punishments, and miseries arising from drunkenness.
7. It will present the amount of loss of property, time, and intellect to the British nation, by their use.
8. It will show how the various religious societies for the renovation of the world are impeded by the drinking habits of the population.
9. It will present, in an inviting manner, the vast blessings which result to families, masters, mistresses, servants, fathers, mothers, and children, and to some of the most degraded individuals, from the total disuse of intoxicating drinks.
10. It will also show the advantages that will accrue to trade, commerce, and the shipping interest; to the arts and sciences; and the immense moral benefits it will confer on the nation and the world.
ADJUDICATORS—The Rev. Theodore Dury, M.A., Rector of Keighley; Rev. J. H. Hinton, M.A.; and J. E Howard, Esq.